USWCC Weekly – 8/19/15
U.S. Census Data Reports: Women-Owned Businesses Hit with $10 Trillion Annual Opportunity Loss
U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce calls for action to elevate the revenues of America’s 10 million women-owned firms.
- Women own 9.9 million representing 35.95% of all U.S. firms
- Women-owned firms generate $1.6 trillion in revenues annually
- Women-owned firms produce only 4.82% of all revenues from U.S. firms
- For comparison: Male-owned firms represent 54.28% of all firms and secure 33.81% of all revenues
- The failure of women-owned firms to produce revenues commensurate with their numbers produces annual opportunity shortfall of over $10 trillion dollars
“The newly released U.S. Census data informs us that each year, women-owned firms are hit with an opportunity loss of over $10 trillion dollars,” states Margot Dorfman, CEO of the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce. “This is a devastating opportunity loss for women business owners, their employees, families and community,” adds Dorfman. Read more.
USWCC | National Directory Updated Version Goes Live
The U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce has launched the new release of the USWCC on-line business and supplier directory. Now at www.WomenOwned.us, this tool provides our USWCC | Business and Supplier Members with greater visibility while allowing you to connect with other businesses to respond to sources sought notices, team or simply do business with other USWCC | Business and Supplier Members. New tools include – your business logo/bug rotating on the home page, enhanced searches and the ability to view certified women-owned firms. Additionally, USWCC Leaders are promoting this tool to buyers at government, prime, commercial and women across the U.S.
USWCC | Business and Supplier Members, please make sure to log in to www.womenowned.us using your USWCC information and update your profile (including your logo and picture) while we work to market your firm.
USWCC Members Continue August In-District Legislative Meetings
While the SBA and Federal Agencies are singing their own praises about meeting their small business goals, the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce delved deep into their data and found several flaws: 1) the data itself was off by billions of dollars; 2) the data showed that the list of small businesses began with SAIC, Verizon, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, L3 and the list goes on (view slide 17 of the Accountability in Contracting presentation); 3) in the WOSB program, 40% of the contracts have gone to ineligible firms. The question – what is the real percentage of contracting going to WOSBs and small businesses overall?
To address these issues, USWCC Members have been meeting this month with their congressional leaders to build relationships while sharing our agenda – raising visibility to barriers to accessing contracts within the women’s program and asking representatives to hold the Small Business Administration and our Government agencies accountable to provide accurate data and prevent fraud and abuse.
We hope that you will join us. Several documents are provided to assist you with setting up meetings, carrying our message, reporting your results.
- USWCC Talking Points for In-District Meetings
- USWCC In-District Meetings Logistics
- Sample USWCC in-district meeting request, August
- USWCC In-District Meeting Report Form
USWCC National Small Business Contracting Summit – DC Fall Conference Open for Registration
Get a jump on 2016 contracts - Join us for the National Small Business Contracting Summit – DC Fall Conference. This two day event features Accountability in Contracting, taking your business to the next level through education and action, congressional meetings, agency/prime updates and forecast briefings and one-on-one agency/prime meetings. The summer conference was attended by 270 small businesses and 70 agency/prime representatives – giving us a ratio of 1 agency/prime representative for every 4 small businesses. Register today.
Upcoming Meeting and Events
Are you in Illinois or New Jersey? Please see the Southern Illinois Women's Economic Summit below on 9/30/15 and watch for the New Jersey Women's Economic Summit coming up on 9/24/15 (this meeting will post online shortly).
- 9/09/15: Supplier Council: Insider Tips to Accessing Federal Contracts Web Conference
- 9/16/15: USWCC | Atlanta Presents Growth Masters Atlanta GA
- 9/21/15 – 9/22/15: USWCC Leadership Training Web Conference
- 9/30/15: Southern Illinois Women’s Economic Summit Effingham IL
- 10/15/15: 2015 U.S. Department of State WOSB, SDV & HUBZone Outreach Session Washington DC
- 10/20/15: USWCC | Atlanta Presents Growth Masters Atlanta GA
- 11/4/15 – 11/5/15: National Small Business Contracting Summit – 2015 Fall Washington DC
- 11/17/15: USWCC | Atlanta Presents Growth Masters Atlanta GA
You might also like
I am excited to announce that Congress is now poised to vote to improve the WOSB/EDWOSB Set-Aside Program by: Protecting women-owned firms from competing against ineligible firms Adding Sole Source
Clinton is the Right Leader for America [I’m In: I’m ready to carry the torch. (sign up here)] WASHINGTON, DC, December 3, 2015 –Today, the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce
Included: FedCon Optimize, Karen Ward testifies before Congress, GAO report on SBA leadership, US DOT SBIR program, USWCC in the news, USWCC | Atlanta meets with State Senator Parent USWCC