USWCC Weekly Update – 10/12/15
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- 1 Upcoming Meetings & Events
- 2 USWCC Announces Agency / Prime ConnectWORKS Series
- 3 Civil Fraud Lawsuit Settled Against Firm Alleging Women-Owned Status; Fine Set at Over $20 Million
- 4 New ACA SHOP Resources Available
- 5 NASA Releases 2016 Forecast
- 6 WOSB Anderson Burton Construction to Receive SBA 2015 “Prime Contractor of the Year” Award at USWCC Contracting Summit
- 7 Bad News, Good News - State Outreach Event Sold Out – Meetings with Agencies and Primes Still Available at Fall Conference
- 10/14/15 - Supplier Council | Prime ConnectWorks Series: Doing Business with Reckitt Benckiser (RB) (web-conference)
- 10/15/15 - Dept of State Outreach (Washington, DC) SOLD OUT
- 10/20/15 - USWCC | Atlanta Presents Growth Masters - with Belinda Coleman, President and CEO of The Coleman Group
- 11/4 and 11/15/15 - Nat'l Small Business Federal Contracting Summit (Washington, DC)
- 11/11/15 - Supplier Council | Prime ConnectWORKS Series: Doing Business with Battelle (web-conference)
- 11/12/15 - USWCC | New Jersey Women's Economic Summit
- 11/17/15 - USWCC | Atlanta Presents Growth Masters - with GA State Senator Elena Parent
- 1/27/15 - Florida Women's Economic Summit
USWCC Announces Agency / Prime ConnectWORKS Series
Vikki Hawthorne, USWCC National Director | Supplier Development is excited to announce the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce Agency / Prime ConnectWORKS Series. This on-line series provides USWCC Supplier Members with the opportunity to hear first-hand from acquisition leaders on their purchasing needs for the coming year. In addition, you will have time to ask questions and get connected.
The next Agency / Prime ConnectWORKS meeting is Wednesday, October 14 at 11am Eastern: Supplier Council | Prime ConnectWorks Series: Doing Business With Reckitt Benckiser (RB). To view upcoming meetings, visit: https://uswcc.org/events/.
Civil Fraud Lawsuit Settled Against Firm Alleging Women-Owned Status; Fine Set at Over $20 Million
(The Small Business Act) "serves the important purpose of increasing legitimate participation by woman-owned businesses, and when business owners engage in fraud that undermines this purpose, they need to be held to account," states Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara.
The United States has filed, and simultaneously settled, a civil fraud lawsuit against UFC AEROSPACE LLC (“UFC”) and DOUGLAS B. DAVIS, the former president of UFC, for engaging in fraudulent conduct in violation of the Small Business Act, 15 U.S.C. § 632(n), in order to secure numerous lucrative defense subcontracts with government contractors. As alleged in the amended complaint-in-intervention, UFC falsely certified to government contractors that UFC was a woman-owned small business (“WOSB”) when UFC at no point met either requirement for WOSB status under the Small Business Act. Specifically, no women were majority owners of UFC or managed or controlled UFC’s management and daily business operations.
UFC made these misrepresentations, as the amended complaint-in-intervention alleges, because it believed that WOSB status provided a competitive advantage in obtaining contracts that it knew were funded by the United States government, and the government contractors in turn made representations to the government regarding its WOSB hiring. In the settlement, UFC and DAVIS admitted and accepted responsibility for the fact that UFC never qualified for WOSB credit under the Small Business Act and will pay the Government $20,015,956.92. Read more here (Dept of Justice) and here (Reuters).
Note: Congress acted in December 2015 to end self-certification for the WOSB/EDWOSB program. However, to date, the Small Business Administration has not acted to implement this important change to the law. Action by the SBA is needed now to implement the law, end self-certification and provide a much more vigorous verification to the WOSB/EDWOSB set-aside program.
New ACA SHOP Resources Available
New SHOP resources are now available. The links below provide three different videos on YouTube, as well as a new FAQ document targeted towards agents & brokers.
- How to Enroll in the SHOP Marketplace in 2015: For Agents and Brokers
- How to Enroll in the SHOP Marketplace in 2015: For Employers
- How to Enroll in the SHOP Marketplace in 2015: For Employees
NASA Releases 2016 Forecast
NASA announced its acquisition Forecast it was updated on October 1, 2015. It can be viewed here.
WOSB Anderson Burton Construction to Receive SBA 2015 “Prime Contractor of the Year” Award at USWCC Contracting Summit
The Small Business Administration is awarding the SBA 2015 “Prime Contractor of the Year” to women-owned small business Anderson Burton Construction at the National Small Business Contracting Summit - 2015 DC Fall Conference. The SBA recognizes outstanding small business owners for their personal successes and contributions to our nation. More than 50% of all Americans either own or work for a small business.
Anderson Burton Construction was selected as the Prime Contractor of the Year for SBA Region IX in recognition of the scope, scale, and quality of the Federal work they have performed in 2015. Joni Anderson, President of Anderson Burton, will be on hand to accept the award. Joni’s firms was nominated for this prestigious award by the U.S. Department of Army, Los Angeles District, Corps of Engineers.
Bad News, Good News - State Outreach Event Sold Out – Meetings with Agencies and Primes Still Available at Fall Conference
The Bad News first! The 2015 U.S. Department of State WOSB, SDV & HUBZone Outreach Session on October 15 has been sold out; if you were not an early registrant than you have missed out. This event has boasts of current updates from the Department of State and the ability to meet one-on-one with agency and prime representatives.
The Good News is, there is space available at the National Small Business Contracting Summit - 2015 DC Fall Conference and many of the agency and prime representatives will be in attendance along with representatives from all other agencies. Please register today to ensure your space.
You might also like
USWCC Georgia Member Steps Up – U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce Commends Diane Adoma for her Bid for State Senate Links: Press Release, Facebook, Twitter The U.S. Women’s Chamber of
The U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce celebrated the contributions and accomplishments of America’s proud women-owned small business contractors during the 9th Annual National Small Business Federal Contracting Week, and recognized
Our friends at CLASP have prepared an excellent whitepaper with suggestions for how women-owned businesses can support paid sick days. Paid sick days are good for business — and women-owned businesses are uniquely situated